IBM Mainframe Batch Job Processing (SO-04-001)
SO-04-001 IBM Mainframe Batch Job Processing
Issue Date: 11/01/2007
Revision Effective Date: 11/01/2007
This standard specifies correct use of the automated scheduler (Control-M) and tools to modify batch job data for IBM Mainframe Production and Test jobs. These standards will ensure that a uniform method is used by all state agencies managed by GTA-ITIS.
The scope of this standard applies to all GTA-ITIS managed computer facilities in all affected Georgia state agencies.
Production Batch Processing Standards
- Batch jobs shall run only during the following schedule:
- Monday through Friday from 7:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M.
- Friday from 7:00 P.M. to Monday 7:00 A.M.
- GTA-ITIS is responsible for all computer managed environments which includes backing up production libraries, operating systems, utilities, and middleware.
- The agency is responsible for maintaining and backing up production data.
- GTA-ITIS Operations will manage all production batch jobs using the automated scheduler Control-M after meeting the Production Acceptance Standards documented in Doc Ref Number OP_STD_0003. The following are set-up standards for the libraries in Control-M:
- Production jobs must point to the Change Man production library. For example:
- (CCJP.PROD.JCL or #CCOP.PROD.JCL for the Department of Revenue)
- Use the Override library only as a single event to correct a problem. If the correction is permanent, then a permanent change needs to be made to the production library.
- The Documentation library must point to the Change Man documentation library. For example:
- (CHNM.PROD.DOC or CHNM.PRODRT.DOC for the Department of Revenue)
- The production job class must never change. See “Batch Job Class Standards” on Doc Ref Number: OP_STD_0003 for a list of valid production batch job classes.
Test Batch Processing Standards
- Test jobs must point to Test libraries.
- Test jobs must only use test job classes. The following are valid test job classes:
Test Job Classes
No Tapes – 2 Hours Maximum
2 Concurrent Tape Drives – 2 Hours Maximum
No Tapes – 10 Minute Time Limit
- Test jobs must not run as production jobs or use production resources.
- If Test jobs exceed the time limit of the job class, GTA-ITIS will cancel the test job after Operations contacts the programmer.
- System utilities and products that permit manipulation of data without an audit trail are restricted to the Test environment. For example, File-AID™ can only be used in the Test environment.
- Test jobs are not required to run through Control-M.
O.C.G.A. §§ 50.25-1
If a production batch job(s) requires processing during the on-line processing window (Monday – Friday 7:00 A.M.- 7:00 P.M.), agencies shall receive advance approval from GTA-ITIS through the exception process.